The mission of Simsbury High School is to help each student realize his/her potential by learning the knowledge, skills, and behaviors that promote both personal fulfillment and civic responsibility.
Mission Statement Poster
Core Values and Beliefs
In service of this mission, we believe that students learn best when the following conditions are met:
- The course of studies is challenging, balanced, and relevant.
- Students make appropriate choices about their course work.
- The curriculum emphasizes big ideas and the application of knowledge and skills.
- The school provides opportunities for students to pursue their learning beyond the classroom.
- Instructional practices engage students by requiring them to be active participants in their learning.
- Teachers use a wide variety of instructional strategies, including the integration of technology.
- Instruction is differentiated in order to meet the needs of all learners.
- Classroom activities emphasize critical and creative thinking.
- Students demonstrate what they know and are able to do in a variety of ways.
- Students engage in performance assessments that represent authentic tasks within each discipline.
- Students participate in self-assessment and also get meaningful and timely feedback about their performance.
- Teachers use assessment results to inform their future instruction.
- All members of the school community demonstrate honor, respect, and responsibility in their actions and decisions.
- Personal relationships are valued and nurtured.
- The school cultivates excellence and fosters an environment of continuous improvement.
- Teachers, as members of a Professional Learning Community, collaborate and recognize the contributions of others.
Support for Learning
- Parents and educators work as partners in helping each student realize his/her potential.
- Students of all abilities are welcomed, included, and given appropriate instruction.
- In order to meet academic expectations, students are given adequate time, opportunity, and support.
- Students are provided with opportunities for enrichment both within and beyond the classroom.